BookingCenter offers two ways to facilitate Self Check-in: Mobile Self Check-in and Kiosk Self Check-in.
- Mobile Self Check-in lets the Guest update Booking Details, Add Payment Methods, Cancel the booking and complete the Self Check-in process from their own mobile device. If authorizations or paying remaining balances are desired as part of your Self Check-in process, 'Traditional MyCard' will work, as there would be no connection to an EMV device.
- Kiosk Self Check-in does functionally the same thing as Mobile, but via a device, such as a tablet or computer, that a property provides for the guest use. The Kiosk may provide an option to enable a guest to 'book' a room and check-in from the Kiosk, so that last-minute bookings and complete front desk automation can be achieved. It can also be setup to an EMV device for 'dip/swipe/tap' to achieve on-site payments via EMV MyCard, or use 'Traditional MyCard' to authorize and/or pay remaining balances via the 'card on file'.
The Self Check-in business process is functionally identical for both Mobile and Kiosk, as both use MyBooking, our secure Guest Portal, to manage the 'self check-in' rules setup for your property. MyBooking is fully integrated with MyPMS with synchronized status updates, customized messaging and digital document signing.
The Kiosk offers a User Experience (UX) that presents flexibility, as each Kiosk can offer its own allocation of rates and availability, its own branding, and its own payment policies. Some examples:
- Your 'cabin' kiosk may have a different look and feel than your 'hotel' kiosk
- Your hotel kiosk may use an EMV reader to 'swipe/dip/tap' full payment; while your RV Kiosk only captures a credit card authorization when checking in.
- One Kiosk may offer a booking capability (ie 'Book Now'); but another Kiosk may only authenticate and check-in existing bookings without 'Book Now' features.
The Mobile experience is functionally the same for all, and the User Experience (UX) is based on the size and type of device your Guest is using (smart phone, tablet, Mac/PC computer, etc).
The Self Check-in process is fully integrated with your PMS with synchronized status updates, customized messaging and digital document signing. Once your site is enabled for Self Check-in, each booking in MyPMS is seamlessly integrated with customized Letters and your business rules, such as:
- Suppressing 'Merchant Rates' rate information
- Requiring different eSign letters based on Agent associated with the booking
- Choosing which Cancellation and/or Deposit policy is requested/required
- Determining what authorization or payment is required
- Requiring an 'incidental' credit card be added before allowing Check-in
- Guaranteeing that Room Assignment, room Clean status, and Arrival time is adhered to
- Exempting specific booking(s) from self-checkin processes
Mobile Self Check-in
To start the process, the Guest is sent (email and SMS) a customized "Check-in" with a secure link to MyBooking, the BookingCenter guest portal which allows the guest to view and update booking details and complete self check-in. Understand the business criteria governing Self Check-in, and the Self Check-in Process. To implement the Self Check-in- Digital Signing Process, see detailed step-by-step instructions at Self Check-in | eSign Required. If desired, implement Self Check-in for 'Suppressed Rate Agents' and for requiring Incidental credit cards of your Guests as part of the business criteria governing Self Check-in. To force credit card authorizations when using Mobile Self Check-in, see MyCard and 'authorize at check-in' settings.
Kiosk Self Check-in
As an overview, the Guest approaches a Kiosk and authenticates their booking(s), which allows the guest to view and update booking details and complete self check-in. Understand the business criteria governing Self Check-in and the unique conditions for Kiosks. To implement the Self Check-in Digital Signing Process, see detailed step-by-step instructions at Self Check-in | eSign Required. If desired, implement Self Check-in for 'Suppressed Rate Agents', and for requiring Incidental credit cards of your Guests as part of the business criteria governing Kiosk Self Check-in. To force either credit card authorizations or payments when using a Kiosk, review the Kiosk setup, your MyCard options, and 'authorize at check-in' settings.
Self Check-in with eSign
If you want to require digital signature(s) at check-in, the BookingCenter eSign lets you create customized Letter(s) and send it to a guest to digitally sign via a secure link, stored with their booking. This allows you to request and store digital signature(s) at any time on or before the check-in date. And for pre-paid bookings (via such channels as Expedia pre-pay or Booking.com) the eSign can be unique in order to 'suppress' the rate from view. Learn how to use eSign - Digital Document Signing.
If desiring to use 2 different Self Check-in 'processes' for your Guests, consider a second stream using a PMS Agent that differentiates between bookings and requiring a unique eSign process based on 'Suppress Agent Rate' bookings.