To add or modify taxes, go to SETUP | SETTINGS | TAX CONFIGURATION.
In this section, you can modify your primary currency (currency used across system), add new taxes, and edit the current tax settings.
There are two main taxes, the primary and secondary tax. When these taxes are enabled, tax is automatically calculated on room rent in bookings and posted to guest folios.
You can enable one or both of the Primary and Secondary taxes depending on your needs. If you have either Primary or Secondary Tax enabled, the values of these fields will automatically populate the RENT item and taxes will be calculated and posted to the guest folio when room rents are posted. It is critical that your primary and secondary tax fields are using the correct values for your business.
Additional taxes can also be added and applied to Room Rent and/or applied to inventory items. This is useful for flat fees or sales tax on inventory items (such as Service Fees or Parking fees). See instructions below. See Add Additional Taxes
To change the name of your taxes, go to Custom System Labeling.
Modify your current Primary and SecondaryTax Settings
To change the Tax Settings, click Edit.
Make any changes and click Save. To change the Tax Rate, go to the next step.
- Primary Currency: Choose the currency you will use in your daily operations. This will be used in MyPMS and on guest bookings.
- Apply Tax to Deposits: This is applicable only on the Booking Engine (Not through GDS or OTA connections). To calculate taxes on deposits taken for online bookings on your website, choose "Yes".
- Tax Settings for Primary and Secondary Taxes: Note, If you do not have Secondary Tax, then choose
- Use [Tax Name] Tax: Do you want to use this tax? Choose "Yes or No". To enable this tax to automatically calculate on room rent for guest bookings and folio charges, choose "Yes".
- [Tax Name] Tax Rate: The tax rate is displayed as a number representing the percentage, i.e.. 19 is a 19% tax rate. To edit the tax rate, go to the next step
- Prices include [Tax Name] Tax: Do you want the Room Rates to include Tax? Choose "Yes or No". To itemized your Room Rent and Taxes and have Rates appear without tax included, choose "No".
- GDS [Tax Name] Tax Mapping: (GDS) If you are connected to GDS channels, then choose the name of the tax you want displayed.The GDS requires specific tax labels. Please choose the one that most closely resembles what you charge your tax for.. The label for taxes that you use for your website will not change and will display as entered in the primary and secondary taxes.
Modify your current Primary and Secondary Tax Rate
- Click on the button "Change [Tax Name] Tax Rate".
- This screen will appear. Enter the new tax rate and leave "Update Inventory Items" checked. This updates your manual Rent Rent Charge in Inventory items. Click Change.