In the United States, most businesses charge tax that is exclusive of their rates, as they do not advertise taxed rates. The BookingCenter MyPMS system utilizes site wide tax settings.
As such, if you have either Primary or Secondary Tax enabled, the values of these fields will automatically populate the RENT item and taxes will be calculated and posted to the guests folio when room rents are posted. It is critical that your primary and secondary tax fields are using the correct values for your business. Additional taxes or flat fees can be added using the add tax button.
In this section, you can modify your primary currency and change the tax settings. To change the name of your taxes, go to Custom System Labeling.
To set up or modify your tax rates, go to SETUP | SETTINGS | TAX CONFIGURATION.
- To change the Tax Settings, click Edit.
- Primary Currency: Choose the currency you would use in your daily operations. This will be used in MyPMS and on guest bookings.
- Primary Tax Settings:
- First, determine whether or not you need the tax rate function by choosing Yes or No.
- Then, enter the tax rate as a percentage, i.e.. 15%
- Finally, choose whether or not you want your Room Prices to include Tax by choosing Yes or No.
- Select the correct GDS tax label from the dropdown menu.*
- Secondary Tax Settings:
- To change the Tax Rate, click Change Occupancy Rate (these will appear as the name of your custom label)
- Enter the new tax rate and click save.
- Add Tax
- Click Add Tax
- Add a unique Tax ID followed by a brief description.
- Choose a flat rate or a percentage rate.
- Enter the rate as a dollar number.
- Select whether this tax will be applied on top of other taxes.
- Choose yes or no for the Nonrecurring Tax. This is used if the tax is applied each day of the stay or only on the total.
- If you want this tax to automatically calculate on the Room Rent. Go to SETUP | PARAMETERS | INVENTORY ITEMS. Choose Room Rent and click on the Item ID to open it. Click Edit and go to bottom of page. Click apply tax.
- *GDS: The label for taxes that you use for your website will not change. The GDS requires specific tax labels. Please choose the one that most closely resembles what you charge your tax for.
- If you have a secondary tax, such as a bed tax or occupancy tax, the system can track this. If you do not have Secondary Tax, then leave this box blank.
- 'Apply Tax to Deposit' is applicable only to the Booking Engine (ie, not through Global Booking Network sites) – if you wish to tax the deposit applied for your online bookings, choose this box.